SCU Usage Instructions
- What is Windows Performance Tuning and how do I run it?
- Is there an Easy Way to configure everything? Video
- What is the Easy Way to configure everything? Instructions
- What if I see multiple network adapters?
- How do I revert a Network Adapter to DHCP?
Open "Easy Mode" and then File -> Windows Performance Tuning.
This will walk you through optimizing your PC so it can run its very best for you.
Easy Mode is the simplest way to configure your computer to communicate with your ESS.
1. Start the SCU application by double clicking on it. Windows UAC will ask if you want to make changes to your computer. You will need to click "Yes", since this application will modify your Firewall settings to allow Mach3 and Mach4 through (and the SCU app itself) along with changing the network adapter settings so it can talk with your ESS. We promise that we are not doing anything else to your PC.
2. On the Start Screen, click on "1: Download Mach" if you have not yet installed Mach. We will take you to our Mach Software page to help you choose and download the correct version of Mach.
3. On the Start Screen, click on "2: Download ESS Plugin" if you have not yet installed the ESS plugin for Mach. We will take you to our Current Software page to help you choose and download the correct Plugin version for the ESS.
4. On the Start Screen, click on "3: Start PC Configuration". This will let you start configuring your PC.
5. On the next screen you will see the "Easy Mode" button, click on it and it will guide you through the configuration process.
6. On the next screen you will see "In the list below, left click on the network adapter connected to your ESS." blinking. In the table below that, left click on the Ethernet network adapter that your ESS will plug into, and the button for the next step will appear
7. The screen will now let you click on "Configure Everything". It will now add Window's Firewall rules to let Mach3 and Mach4 through and modify that network adapter to use an IP of "10.9.9.2", a Subnet mask of "255.255.255.0" and a Gateway of "10.9.9.9" (the ESS's IP address).
8. On the next screen you will see "Detected ESSs: If your ESS appears below, CLOSE this program and start Mach." blinking. In the table below that, if you see "Listening for SmoothSteppers", we have not yet found your ESS. Make sure that the ESS is powered with 5V, and that it is connected to the correct network adapter.
9. However, if on the screen where you see "Detected ESSs: If your ESS appears below, CLOSE this program and start Mach." blinking, a SmoothStepper has "Successful Pings" incrementing, that means that the ESS has been found! You should now run the "Windows Performance Tuning" so the SCU can optimize your system.